Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Change of Scenery

I went to pilates from 4-5pm today and then Andrew met me at the HKC's indoor track to get in some running. I decided I wanted to try a little speedwork...or at least some version of it. What I came up with was running at my normal speed for a lap, picking it up for a lap, slowing it down again for another, picking it back up for the next, etc. for the first two miles. Since the indoor track takes 8 laps to equal a mile, my change ups were basically every 200 meters. I then walked two laps (a 400) and did 1 last mile in the same format with my friend Katie and ended it with another 2 lap cool down.

Overall it felt really good. After the toughness of the humidity, heat, hills, and roots, the combination of the air conditioning, the flatness, and the sense of accomplishment of finishing a lap so quickly (or at least the appearance of) were welcome sensations. Not that I am by any means confining all my running to the track now-but it is a nice change on occasion.

It was also nice to just listen to my ipod for the first two miles and chat with Katie for the last one. As usual Andrew pretty much smoked me...that's okay though- I'll be able to keep up with him eventually. :-P :-)

No comments: