Monday, September 29, 2008

Runner not a Biker

Hans, Chris, Marisa, John, Andrew, and I ran half of the Huntsville Half Marathon on Thursday, then yesterday we ran over 6 miles at the park. I was glad the park opened back up since I just prefer it to road running now. It makes the time fly by faster, I don't get daunted by seeing so far ahead of me, and it's prettier.

There was plenty of debri on the trails (small branches and leaves) and many trees that had been cut so as to move them out of the way. At one point, heading to the dam, the overarching branches of thr trees and a fallen tree made for an odd sort of tunnel or cave. I got more than enough exercise darting left and right and up and over. I really would have hated to have biked through that.

One of the reasons I like running better than biking is it's cheaper (an important consideration for a college student) and another is that I think I would be too scared going down and up some of those hills without being able to conveniently just walk or pause for a second. I can see myself barrelling down of one of the hills, hitting a root the wrong way, and me and the bike tumbling in some fancy acrobatic move that should only be done at a circus. I think I'll stick to my own two feet and running shoes.

No comments: