Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Avenues Route in 37:08 Minutes

I woke up this morning a little after 7am, determined to run. I did my usual morning routine (contacts, brush teeth, get dressed, etc.), grabbed a Gala apple, and was ready to go. Surprisingly, Andrew also tagged along. I say surprisingly mainly because the morning before I had attempted to coax him into coming to no avail. However, this morning he was up and ready.

Our friend Aaron had stayed the night with us and opted to go on a walk back to his apartment at The Arbors while we went on our morning run. He had stayed with us since his roommate is in College Station, and it's a little depressing being home alone with no electricity. Besides, as he told us when he asked, he came bearing a little propane tank with burner, lol.

I decided on the Avenues route yet again (little over 5k). I figured this would be convenient since it started at Pritchett, not too far from our apartment...a long enough light jog or walk there to warm up, stretch, and then begin the course. Also, I thought the numerous hills would be good to get in the habit of running.

With the temperature in the 60s and being in better shape, this run was by far easier than the first time I ran it back when Ken celebrated his streak. While I am not sure how long it took me that first time, today I finished the route in about 37:08 minutes. Andrew stuck with me the whole way, darting ahead only to slow down or wait when he deemed he was too far ahead. He could easily have finished in less time than that.

Our efforts were rewarded by a flashlight-lit, cold shower. It actually wasn't that bad- whether this was because the weather was not that cold or because we had been running, I'm not sure. At any rate, it felt really good to be clean again, cold or not.

1 comment:

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Woo hoo! Time to race! lol

Hope the power's come back by now.