Sunday, August 23, 2009

6am...I mean 7am...I mean 6am...um...7am?

Last night I remembered weekend runs are at 7 NOT 6 which was a little frustrating since I had told one of my neighbors (Hayden, owner of Loki) earlier in the day that I would meet her at the dog park at 8am and to knock on my door if we weren't out already. It wasn't a big deal really- we were only 10 minutes late- but it was a little annoying to me nonetheless. I don't like forgetting things. :-/

The dogs (Loki, Molly, and Annie) played for about an hour while Andrew, Mike, Hayden, and I watched them and chatted...and tried to keep Molly and Loki, the two puppies, from rolling in the puddles from the sprinklers. I see puddles all the time here- NOT from rain but from the elaborate sprinkler system that seems to exist all over Lubbock. Loki has a habit of finding a puddle and just plopping into it while the rest of us try to entice him away from it. Oh well. I think Hayden and I have both gotten used to sometimes having to hose our respective puppies off after visiting the dog park.

Unfortunately, this has been a morning of running a little behind (no pun intended). We woke up at 6:30, ate breakfast, got ready, and left at about 6:50. Andrew tried to take a slightly different route which then ended up being a slower and longer rather than a faster route. We ended up weaving through the named and numbered streets, trying to get to 20th and Elgin by 7am. We made it there at 7:07 and Suzanne and Terry were still there.

We ran 4 miles of which I ran a 11:43 pace so not as fast as earlier this week. I had a better idea where I was going today, and actually having light to see by helped drastically on figuring out where I was. Terry, Suzanne, and Andrew stayed ahead of me for most of the run. I kept an eye out for Suzanne's lime green running shirt. Overall it was a decent run for a Sunday morning on roads. I hope all the trail runners in Huntsville enjoy their 9:30am run.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're settling in and found a group to run with. I ran the club run yesterday morning and now have a 1-mile time for the books....9:14.

Karen said...

Nice. :-) I have only done 2 5ks and 2 25ks as far as races go. They have club runs up here supposedly that I need to check out.

I miss the trail runs already. I was joking with Andrew that we got spoiled in Huntsville.

Btw, thanks again for the newspaper- it was well used.:-)